Making the transition from primary to secondary education can seem a daunting prospect for many young people. At Thornaby Academy we aim to support students every step of the way. We work closely with our primary schools to ensure that students have the opportunity to take part in events at the Academy throughout Key Stage 2. We also provide expert teaching, which can be delivered in the primary school itself, to support the delivery of specialist subjects.
Year 5/6 Open Evening Feedback
What did you enjoy about the evening?
- Very organised and welcoming
- Approachable staff and plenty of information given
- Welcoming atmosphere
- Staff and students friendly and helpful
- The activities especially splat and the assault course
- The whole evening, it was fantastic!
- We got to try everything!
- Maths and ICT because these are my favourite subjects
Is there anything we could do better?
- No, it was a great look into the school
- More time
- Everything was really good, couldn’t fault anything
Early Transition from Primary School to Thornaby Academy
By integrating the Year 6 students into the Academy at the end of the summer term rather than the start of the autumn we aim to enable students to:
- Become familiar with the building
- Get to know their teachers and tutor groups
- Make new friends
- Understand our expectations and rules
- Overcome any anxiety they may feel about coming to the academy
- Make an effective start in September to ensure maximum progression
During early transition students will take part in a variety of activities but will also follow their Year 7 timetable and will, therefore, get a flavour of their subjects.
Students will need to ensure they arrive each day with a pen, pencil and ruler and a bag to carry their equipment in
During transition students are expected to wear their primary school uniform along with their transition polo shirt.
We are delighted to be able to offer a range of exciting activities and workshops led by specialist teachers.
In this brochure we would like to share with you some of the activities we can offer at Thornaby Academy to enrich your school curriculum and inspire your young learners.
Each of the sessions has been developed to be fun, interactive and informative. All workshops are led by experienced and dedicated teachers and give learners the opportunity to use state of the art facilities.
Activities are held here in the Academy and provided free of charge. If there is an activity that is not highlighted in the brochure that you feel would be beneficial to your learners, please contact us to discuss.
To book please see the back of the brochure for details.... Discover Thornaby Booklet 2018